Last Christmas I gave the women in my family (plus a few friends) a variation on the jar journal. The jar journal concept is to pull preprinted question slips from a jar, paste it in your journal, and write, write, write!
So I purchased pretty journals and pens, created explanation cards and gift tags, and searched for questions to include. I hate to give such a gift without having a definitive purpose, so I let everyone know that come summertime, I would host a Journal Tea Party, at which we could discuss a few of the questions and share what we liked most about this journaling process.
Last week was the tea party. It was absolutely fabulous! Instead of sharing directly from our journals, I found and developed a few new questions that were a fair mix of serious and silly. Here are a few of the questions we discussed:
- What’s your dream for the year ahead? Share something you personally hope to do or accomplish in the next year.
- Would you rather live by the ocean, in the mountains, or on the plains? Are you more of a country gal or a city gal?
- Share a funny story or experience about you yourself that others may not know.
- What is one of your weirdest recurring dreams? How long has it been running?
- What is your favorite movie? Your favorite movie line?
- What would you like to be remembered for?
- What modern convenience/technology would you rather not live without?
We laughed a lot and cried a bit, sharing so much more than just formulated answers. The last batch of questions we answered were the ones used by James Lipton at the end of each Inside the Actor’s Studio. What a hoot!
After three hours of non-stop gabbing, we had to wrap it up, but it was so great, we are talking about doing this sort of party again (not the journaling, but the questions and sharing).
If you have some dear family and friends that you want to get to know better, this would be perfect!
Update: I forgot to set a link to another post and discussion on themed journal ideas. Enjoy!